This blog may contain affiliate links, meaning I will make a commision if you choose to buy. Please know I’m recommending these items because I love them, most of the companies I work with I reached out to after using their product. If you do decide to buy I’d be stoked if you clicked the link!
Before we had AJ, Seth and I used to be quite adventurous (like when we lived in a van for 2 months).
Now, as a new mom, a day out of the house is SO different. It’s this hard battle of needing a change of pace for your own sanity versus having the energy to pack up the baby, bag and yourself. I swear packing up the bag is a task in itself. This is why I wrote this blog about what we pack in our summer diaper bag!
Well, on the days you do decide to do it, you need all the essentials for you and your baby.
This blog is everything you need in your diaper bag in the summer with a one year old!
What’s in the summer diaper bag:
As you might know (or maybe not), we do cloth diapering 80% of the time and disposables the other 20%. You can read more about our cloth diapering system here. We do disposables overnight, when we’re traveling, and when we’re out and about all day.
Well, Pampers Pure just came up with a new hybrid diaper that’s half cloth and half disposable. These hybrid diapers would be great for someone who is eco-conscious but cannot easily do cloth diapering (maybe someone who uses the laundromat). The shell can be washed with clothes because the mess is thrown away in the reusable insert.
They’re great for someone like us who use a 80/20 method and wants to FURTHER reduce their waste. Or if you’re into it and your partner is a hard no. It’s a good compromise and a really good way to ease into it.
There are 2 parts to the hybrid diapers: the reusable cloth shell, and the disposable insert.
First, the shells. They are so cute and come in a bunch of different prints from lions and tigers and bears to cute pink ones!
Then, the disposable inserts totally gave me postpartum recovery flashbacks of the pads as big as your head. The inserts are made of the same materials that Pamper Pure diapers are made of which means: no fragrance, no parabens, no latex. PLUS, they keep baby’s skin dry and lock away wetness for up to 12 hours!!
Pro Tip: When I’m packing the summer diaper bag, I like to have two diapers ready to go. I stick the inserts to the shells and pack them away so they’re all ready to go when I need them. Then, when one gets dirty I can take the whole thing off, grab a new diaper, and we’re all set. It’s super fast.
If you’re at home, the disposable liner goes in the trash with the wipes (dipes and wipes in the trash) and you reuse the shell or throw it in the wash with their clothes because it doesn’t get poopy like a normal cloth diaper would.
Last thing… Pampers has something they call size, set, snap. You can adjust the size of the elasticity in the leg, set the liner in place, and snap it shut!
2. Wipes are a must for the summer diaper bag
Wipes are for WAAAAY more than just cleaning baby’s bottom… as moms, we KNOW this in our souls. They’re great for snacks, for tables, for spills, wiping baby’s face, your hands, literally anything that needs to be… wiped.
3. Summer Sun Essentials to keep in your summer diaper bag
It’s summer time here so when we leave the house we always make sure we have everything we need to keep babe safe in the sun. I have an entire post about that here, but here are they key pointers.
- We obviously have sunblock (Earth Mama Organics Sensitive Sunscreen and Tubby Todd Sun Stick are two of my favs).
- We like to do a hat with a chin strap like this one so she can’t pull it off as easily and it doesn’t get blown off by the wind.
- Stroller fan. If you’re going to be out in hot weather for an extended time, a stroller fan is a great idea! Perfect at the beach, in the stroller, or car seat. This is a must-have for the summer heat!
4. When (not if) there is a mess
- Change of clothes: I like to have an entire change of clothes in case she sits in the mud or spills food all over here or whatever. We know these things happen on an outing with babe so I like to be prepared so we can easily change her. I love grabbing a full onesie like this and just keeping it in the bag.
- Wet bag so if her clothes get really wet, or when we’re done with the pool, I can put those wet clothing items in here. I also use these for dirty cloth diapers when we’re out. The wet bags that have 2 zipper pockets are my favorite because I keep the clean clothes in one and the dirty in the other!
- Bandaids. I think I use bandaids more than most people, but they’re always good to have in case something happens.
5. Snacks & Water
Snacks and water are a must-have on any outing. For her water, we have the perfect sippy cup. These are amazing because they don’t really spill (unless of course you also have a toddler that occasionally throws cups, then it spills a little).
6. Oh yeah…and Everything for Mom
Then once you have ALL of that done, you need to quickly figure out what you need for yourself. I have this GIANT gallon water bottle that I use every day and bring with me to keep myself hydrated. Plus, I bring my seriously cute fanny pack where I keep my keys, phone, air pods, sunglasses, and whatever else I need!
Pro tip: get all this packed while babe is napping so that when they wake up you’re ready to go and don’t have to do all this while carrying babe. This sounds like such a basic tip but “mom brain” is REAL and basic things are genius to us.
Have so much fun!
Quick note, this blog may contain affiliate links.
This means at no additional cost to you I can make a (small) commission if you decide to purchase. I promise I won’t ever recommend something I haven’t tried and loved.
What this also means is I’d be so grateful if you do decide to buy, you click these links to purchase!