1. What are Playlists?
2. Why have them?
3. Two things to do right away
4. Tips for Playlists
1. What are playlists?
Playlists are a way to organize your videos by topic
For example: I have playlists about my travel tips, with my sister, Seth, Mexico, New Zealand, etc.
2. Why have playlists?
There are several reasons to have playlists
– To keep your videos organized
– Make it easy to consume your content
The best example of playlists is Yoga with Adriene you don't have to be a yoga instructor to understand what I'm talking about here.
She creates categories for different people or things people are searching for! (Photo below)
– 10-15 min yoga
– Yoga for bedtime
– Guided meditation etc.
Some of these will overlap, that's totally okay but she has organized it in a way that is clear for her viewers and people searching.
3. Two things to do right away to improve your channel:
1. Create a “popular uploads” playlist and have it be the first one on your homepage
The first time someone comes to your page they will see the videos with your top views, this makes your channel appear more legit and also shows the videos that most people are interested in!
How to do this:
1. Login to your channel
2. Click “customize channel“
3. Click “Home” and scroll to the bottom where you see “+ Add Section“
4. Content choose: “Popular uploads”
Layout I suggest Layout for most of your playlists, but this is a preference thing, you decide!
Horizontal looks like this:
Vertical looks like this:
While you're here, create an “Uploads” playlist as your second playlist showing on your channel.
You will do this the exact same way.
The importance of this will come up again in the Share Chapter
2. Hide your “liked videos” playlists
The “liked videos” shows your viewers which videos you've been liking. This makes your channel look a bit amateur so I'd recommend hiding it.
How to do this:
First. Same first two steps as above
1. Login and click “customize channel“
2. Click on the gear
3. Turn on “Keep all my liked videos private” and “Keep all my subscriptions private”
4. Turn on “customize the layout of your channel”
4. Tips for Playlists:
1. Create a series
I used to travel around the world making one video per week. Then when Seth and I went to New Zealand for 2 months I created 8 videos worth of content ALL ABOUT New Zealand.
This is what I learned: Even if I went to a location for one week there are multiple videos worth of content for that week. If you divide it up into different videos, you can create playlists, and it allows different searches about the same location, aka more opportunities for people to find you!
The most recent example was Mexico. We were there for 1 week but I created 3 videos and in the beginning of each video I mentioned that it was a 3 video series.
1. How to stay safe in Mexico
2. What you need to do before you go to Mexico
3. Cozumel on a budget
2. Include other channel's videos in your playlist
People are more likely to click on a playlist with multiple videos. When you create a playlist around content ideally you add at least 8-12 videos to the playlist. If you don't have 8-12 videos of your own content include other channel's videos that you love! This creates an opportunity for other people to find your videos, it also can make people stay on your channel longer which YouTube likes!
And we like it when YouTube likes our videos.
Chapter 9: Homework
1. Create a “Popular Uploads”
2. Hide your “liked videos” playlist
3. Create at least one playlist with your videos + other channel's videos
4. What playlists can you create like Yoga with Adriene